William C. Strickland Outstanding Junior Faculty Award
The William C. Strickland Outstanding Junior Faculty Award honors one assistant professor in The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) who has made significant contributions to the intellectual life of the University. The award is designed to assist untenured, tenure-track faculty in the development of his/her research programs or creative activity. It is awarded to a member of the faculty who has demonstrated, while at the University, the highest standards of excellence in research, scholarship and contributions to his/her academic field.
Dr. William C. Strickland, for whom the award is named, was Dean of the College from 1968 to 1984 and a professor in the Department of Philosophy and Religion.
Outstanding untenured faculty who have completed at least two full academic years in the tenure-track rank in CAS
The award will carry the following recognition:
- Up to $1,000 to apply toward research endeavors including research-related travel (All equipment remains the property of Appalachian State University)
- Medallion and certificate presented at the fall CAS Awards Luncheon
All faculty, as well as outside experts in the academic discipline, are eligible to submit nominations.
To nominate a faculty member for this award, please complete the nomination form to submit it to the CAS Selection Committee. Nominations should describe the accomplishments of the nominee while at Appalachian summarizing early-career indicators of research excellence and promise for the future.
Once nominated, CAS will contact the nominee for additional materials including:
- A cover letter that describes how the nominee feels he/she is deserving of the award, discussing past accomplishments, current work and future plans in a language understandable to colleagues from a wide array of disciplines.
- An updated curriculum vita that emphasizes contributions made while at Appalachian.
- One example of a primary scholarly product.
- Two letters of support (internal or external).
Selection of Awardee
The Strickland Award Committee reviews the applications and makes a recommendation to the Dean of CAS. The Committee is composed of the most recent recipient and three CAS faculty members. At least one member is chosen from each of the following areas: mathematics/natural sciences, social sciences and humanities.
Procedures and Deadlines
The deadline for 2022 nominations was Tuesday, September 6th. The Committee typically begins reviw of nominations at the beginning of the fall semester.
Previous Award Winners
- Sarah Evans (2021-22)
- Kyle Stevens (2020-21)
- Kara Dempsey (2019-20)
- Maggie Sugg (2018-19)
- Alice P. Wright (2017-18)
- Davis Hankins (2016-17)
- Michael Gangloff (2015-16)
- John Paul Jameson (2014-15)
- Sarah Carmichael (2013-14)
- David Orvis (2012-13)
- Tim Smith (2011-12)
- Bruce Stewart (2010-11)
- Gwendolyn Robbins Schug (2009-10)
- Tonya Coffey (2008-09)
- Judkin Browning (2007-08)
- Jari Eloranta (2006-07)
- Benito del Pliego (2005-06)
- Melany Fisk (2004-05)
- Rahman Tashakkori (2003-04)
- Craig Fischer (2002-03)
- Matthew Robinson (2001-02)
- Liza Grizzard (2000-01)
- Steven Hageman (1999-00)
- Rosemary Horowitz (1998-99)
- Mark Venable (1997-98)
- Larry Kimball (1996-97)
- T.J. Arant (1995-96)