In 2003, The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) established the Jimmy Smith Outstanding Service Award in recognition of the numerous contributions of Dr. Jimmy Smith, a professor in the Department of Mathematics from 1968 to 2000. The award honors the faculty member who has demonstrated meaningful and significant service to the College, the University and/or the faculty member's profession.
Full-time faculty (including emerita) with at least five full academic years of employment in CAS.
The award will carry the following recognition:
- Up to $1,000 to apply toward research or teaching equipment and supplies and/or research-related travel expenses. (All equipment remains property of ASU)
- Medallion and certificate presented at the fall CAS Awards Luncheon
All faculty, as well as outside experts in the academic discipline, are eligible to submit nominations.
To nominate a faculty member for this award, please complete the nomination form and submit it to CAS Selection Committee. Nominations should describe the meaningful and significant effects of the nominee's service to the College, the University, and/or the faculty member's profession over multiple years including examples of demonstrated leadership and initiative.
Once nominated, CAS will contact the nominee for additional materials including:
- A cover letter that describes how the nominee feels he/she is deserving of the award, with particular emphasis on service and leadership accomplishments and their impact.
- An updated curriculum vita that emphasizes service and leadership activities.
- Two letters of support (internal or external).
Selection of Awardee
The Jimmy Smith Service Award Committee reviews the applications and makes a recommendation to the Dean of CAS. The Committee is composed of the most recent recipient and three CAS faculty members. At least one member is chosen from each of the following areas: mathematics/natural sciences, social sciences and humanities.
Procedures and Deadlines
Deadline for nominations is August 31. The Committee will begin review of applications at the beginning of the fall semester.
Previous Award Winners
- Jill Ehnenn (2018-2019)
- Timothy J. Smith (2017-2018)
- Cynthia Liutkus-Pierce (2016-2017)
- Eric Marland (2015-2016)
- James Denniston (2014-2015)
- Amy Dellinger Page (2013-2014)
- James Young (2012-2013)
- Kathleen Simon (2011-2012)
- Pamela Kidder-Ashley (2010-2011)
- Kim Hall (2009-2010)
- Marvin Hoffman (2008-2009)
- Neva Specht (2007-2008)
- Bill Bauldry (2006-2007)
- Alan Hauser (2005-2006)
- Rennie Brantz (2004-2005)
- Holly Hirst (2003-2004)