Returning to complete coursework

Former Appalachian State students who have a stop-out (time away from the University) who want to return to complete a degree or start a second degree must apply for readmission. There are many details about returning that you need to understand, especially if you have been away from the University for a long period of time. Please review this information and then contact the Director of CASSH for more assistance.

Please note: If you are a returning graduate student, please visit the Graduate School readmission page for more information.

Who must apply for readmission?

Any student who has had a break in enrollment in the fall-spring-fall cycle. Students who attend spring semester but not a summer term do not apply for readmission for fall semester. Readmission is required for students who:

  • withdraw from a fall or spring term
  • do not attend a fall or spring term

Information about readmission can be found on the Registrar's Office website. There are deadlines for completing the readmission process for each term. You must meet these deadlines to attend in a given term.

Can I take courses at another institution to complete my degree?

Students may sometimes take courses at other institutions to meet degree requirements; however, all residency requirements must be met (see below). Students should discuss plans to take courses at other institutions prior to taking those courses to ensure the transfer work will meet degree requirements. Some departments require some courses be taken at Appalachian State and not as transfer courses.

What are the residency requirements?

Students must meet several residency requirements to earn a degree from Appalachian State. These include:

  • 25% of the degree must be met through courses taken through Appalachian (a total of 31 or 32 hours, depending on the size of the program)
  • 50 credit hours must be courses taken at a senior institution (a four-year institution)
  • 18 hours in the major must be courses taken through Appalachian
  • 9 hours in the minor must be courses taken through Appalachian

What if I've been away for a long time?

Students may always return to complete a degree or start a second degree. However, coursework and catalogs expire after 10 years. This means you may have more coursework to take than you remember. Review the policies below.

Catalog Year Expiration

Your catalog year contains the set of requirements you must meet to earn your degree, and your assigned catalog year is usually the term you first started at Appalachian. If this was more than 10 years ago, you must move to a catalog that has not expired and that corresponds to a term in which you were in attendance. If you have not been a student in the last 10 years, you will have to move to the catalog that is in effect during your first term back. This may drastically affect the requirements you must meet to graduate.

For second degree seeking students: You may choose to follow the catalog year from your first degree (if it has not expired) or you may move to the catalog in effect during your first term back.

Coursework Expiration

Just as your catalog can expire, your coursework also expires after ten years. Expired coursework must be reviewed and approved by your major department before it can be used to meet major requirements. Old coursework can still be used as free electives to help you earn the number of hours you need to graduate. 

This policy applies to new App State students who have transfer work that is older than 10 years and to native App State students who have had a break in enrollment and whose coursework has expired while they were away. 

All expired coursework is reviewed upon entry or re-entry to the University. If you stay continuously enrolled until you complete your degree, even ten-year-old coursework will not be considered expired. But if you withdraw from or skip a fall or spring semester, any coursework older than ten years is considered expired and must be reevaluated and approved by your major department before it can count in your major. If you have old coursework, it’s best if you can stay enrolled until your degree is completed. 

The Office of General Education will review your general education coursework to determine if it can be used to meet current graduation requirements. For courses in your major, minor, or certificate, the department that houses the program will review your coursework to determine its eligibility towards your degree.