App State’s Diversity Statement
"We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally. Inclusive Excellence is the intrinsic value that a diverse population adds to the learning, teaching, and decision-making processes of an institution.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the entire university community, including alumni and official university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions, and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equitable opportunities for all, one that has an expectation of fairness, justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university community."
To learn more about diversity, equity and inclusion at App State, visit the Office of Diversity's website at diversity.appstate.edu.
Inclusive Excellence in CAS
The College of Arts and Sciences is dedicated to recognizing successes, removing barriers and valuing intentional efforts to enhance inclusiveness so that every member of the academic community can participate and excel to the best of their ability.
The College is committed to:
- offering a multi and inter-disciplinary learning environment
- providing access and support for all students
- investing in a diverse faculty and staff
- encouraging a welcoming and accepting exchange of ideas to prepare students to succeed in an increasingly inter-connected and complex world
- Disseminate a weekly DEI message to faculty and staff in the College, and other stakeholders across campus
- Support the Office of Research's Scholarship of Diversity Equity & Inclusion Grant
- Support cross-departmental/disciplinary initiatives, including ADVANCE Appalachian and BRIDGES
- Support department-based initiatives, including CS4ALL (CS) and URGE (GES)
- Support student-centered opportunities for professional growth and development, including CAS Corps, SOAR and SIE-STEM
- Support the AppELS Institute
- Bestow the CAS Inclusion Award on a department, program or subset that introduced new, intentional effort(s) to enhance inclusiveness over the past year
- Establish a College-level Committee on Inclusive Excellence
- Identify an annual, college-wide DEI priority(s) for all units to focus on
- Encourage all departments to assess how DEI efforts are accounted for in Promotion and Tenure (P&T) standards
- Add a prompt to faculty Annual Reviews regarding DEI efforts
- Add a DEI-related prompt to the college SAFE grant application and award criteria
Inclusive Excellence News
March 23: Antisemitism on Trial: How Tanya Gersh Fought the Neo-Nazis and Won
BOONE, N.C. — Join Appalachian State University's Center for Judaic, Holocaust and Peace Studies (CJHPS) for "Antisemitism on Trial: How Tanya Gersh...
Lumbee tribal flag now hangs in App State’s student union, honoring the Lumbee people and their history
BOONE, N.C. — Appalachian State University recognized and honored the nearly 60,000 members of the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina and their history ...
March 8: Roundtable Conversation on Antisemitism
BOONE, N.C. — Join the Center for Judaic, Holocaust, and Peace Studies (CJHPS); Hillel; AEPi; and Diversity and Inclusion for a roundtable disc...
February 15: "Antisemitism and Its Manifestations" with Rachel Lang
BOONE, N.C. — Join Rachel Lang of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) for a presentation on antisemitism and extremism in the United States. ...