Arts and Sciences Curriculum Proposal Process for 2016-2017
All curriculum proposals (new courses, program changes, deletes, etc) must follow the procedures defined by the University Academic Policies and Procedure Committee (AP&P). Please refer to the AP&P website for more details. Likewise, any changes to courses in the General Education curriculum must follow those proceduees defined by the General Education Council. Please refer to the Gen Ed website for more details. Be sure to follow the appropriate naming process for files. That naming process will apply for all forms (A, B, and C) as well as other supporting materials, such as syllabi, programs of study, etc.
To submit proposals to the College of Arts and Sciences Council, please follow these instructions:
- Complete the AP&P and/or General Education forms necessary for your proposals. All forms are writable PDF. (Note: Mac users must use Adobe Reader (NOT Mac Preview) to view and complete forms)
- For CHANGES and DELETIONS to existing courses, degrees, concentrations, certificates, minors, policies, etc. -- complete AP&P Proposal Form (Part A only) (PDF, 293KB)
- For ADDITIONS (new courses, degrees, concentrations, certificates, minors, etc.) -- complete AP&P Proposal Form (Parts A and B) (PDF, 233KB)
- For changes to courses in General Education -- complete Gen Ed Form C (PDF, 223KB)
- Complete any supporting attachments, such as syllabi, catalog copy, programs of study, etc. using Word format. Any changes to existing documents should be noted in red font and/or red strikeouts. Existing programs of study (in pdf form) can be accessed on the following site (http://programsofstudy.appstate.edu/programs/colleges/College-of-Arts-and-Sciences). However, for any changes to programs of study, please contact Dr. Jeni Wyatt (email@example.com). She will mark your changes.
- Seek appropriate approvals within the department and from the Registrar's Office. Contact other departments or programs that might have similar courses or might be affected by the changes and note their responses. Be sure to note the dates on the AP&P forms when the proposals were approved by your curriculum committee and faculty.
- Once proposals have been approved by the department, email the form (pdf) and supporting attachments (Word) to Lauren Maltba (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dru Henson (email@example.com). Please put "Curriculum" in the subject line. Please see the table below for submission deadlines.
- The proposals will be posted on the AsULearn "CAS Prop" site for the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) Curriculum Subcommittee to review. A department/program representative will need to attend the subcommittee meeting to answer any questions that might arise. You will be contacted by the subcommittee chair.
- Following review by the subcommittee, proposals for CAS Council will be posted to the AsULearn "CAS Prop" site and summaries will go out with the agenda 5 days before the CAS Council meeting.
- For changes to only the semester offering of a course, please send an email to Lauren Maltba (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dru Henson (email@example.com) stating the request. That can then be sent as an FYI to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Following approval at CAS Council, proposals will be routed through other Councils (General Education, Teacher Education, Graduate Council) as needed. A department/program representative will need to attend the various Council meetings to answer any questions that may arise. You will receive an email reminder of those dates.
- University AP&P has an AsULearn site where all submitted proposals will be posted for AP&P review. If you have proposals for the upcoming AP&P meeting, you will be added to the AP&P listserv for the time between submission of your proposals and the meeting. You will be expected to address any questions or concerns that are raised on the AsULearn Forum. Additionally, you will be expected to send a department/program representative to the AP&P meeting to answer any questions that may arise.
Members of the 2016-2017 Arts and Sciences Curriculum Subcommittee:
- Dr. Mark Nunes*, Chairperson, Department of Cultural, Gender and Global Studies
- Dr. Jim Goff, Chairperson, Department of History
- Dr. Phillip Ardoin, Chairperson, Department of Government and Justice Studies
- Dr. Claudia Cartaya-Marin, Chairperson, Department of Chemistry
- Dr. TIm Smith, Chairperson, Department of Anthropology
- Dr. Jeni Wyatt, Director of the College Advising and Support Services Hub, College of Arts and Sciences (ex-officio)
- Dr. Dru Henson, Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences (ex-officio)
* Subcommittee Chairperson
2016-2017 Curriculum Proposal Dates
A&S Council Meeting
Aug, 24, 2016
Sept 6, 2016
Sept. 8, 2016
Sept. 20, 2016
Oct. 4, 2016
Oct. 5, 2016
Oct. 19, 2016
Nov. 1, 2016
Nov. 22, 2016*
Dec. 6, 2016*
Dec. 2, 2016
Dec. 15, 2016
Jan. 12, 2017
Jan. 24, 2017
Feb. 7, 2017
Feb. 7, 2017
Feb. 21, 2017
Mar. 7, 2017
Mar. 7, 2017
Mar. 21, 2017
Apr. 4, 2017
Apr. 7, 2017
Apr. 20, 2017
May 2, 2017
*Last meeting to have proposals considered in time to make the 2017 fall catalog.