Arts and Sciences Curriculum Proposal Process for 2020-2021
All curriculum proposals (new courses, program changes, deletions, semester changes, etc) must follow the procedures defined by the Academic Policies and Procedure Committee (AP&P).
AP&P Form Options - For access to specific forms, please refer to the Proposal Development link on the AP&P website
NOTE: Mac users must use Adobe Acrobat (NOT Mac Preview or a browser viewer) to view and complete forms]
- Part A (pdf) - Part A is required for CHANGES and DELETIONS to existing courses, degrees, concentrations, certificates, minors, second academic concentrations, policies, etc.
- Part A & B (pdf) - Parts A and B are both required for ADDITIONS: new courses, degrees, concentrations, certificates, minors, second academic concentrations, etc. Include course syllabus or program of study as appropriate. Combine all attachments into a single pdf document to be submitted by dean’s offices.
- Part C - For General Education credit) If you are proposing a new course or course changes that request General Education credit, complete the appropriate Part C form. Please consult the "Program Toolbox" on the General Education website for more infomration
- Proposing a New Graduate Certificate (pdf) - Please include this form for all new graduate certificate proposals.
- Semester Offering Change
- Department Name Change
Instructions, Examples, and File Naming Protocols - - Please refer to the Instructions & Examples link on the AP&P webiste
Some General Points for Submitting Proposals
- Complete all supporting attachments (syllabi, programs of study, etc) using Word format. Use the ASU Online Bulletin to access catalog copy, course descriptions, programs of study, etc and use "copy/paste" to transfer to a Word document. Make sure to paste using the "Merge Formatting" control.
- Any changes to existing documents should be noted as follows:
- "Insertions" should be noted in blue font.
- "Deletions" should be noted with red strike-through.
- "Moves" should be noted in green font.
- Make sure the following link to the Syllabi Policy and Statement Information from the Academic Affairs is included on every syllabi: https://academicaffairs.appstate.edu/resources/syllabi-policy-and-statement-information. Also, note that the "Office of Disability Services" has changed to the "Office of Disability Resources".
- Please contact Ms. Diana Nelson (firstname.lastname@example.org) if your are making changes to your programs of study (POS) or if you have any questions about POS changes.
- For question #5, make sure to notify the Eric Berry (berrye1) in the Registrar's Office, and if appropriate, Anna Basnight (basnightal) in the Graduate School of your changes. They need to assign new course numbers if necessary, check naming change impacts, review program changes, etc.
- For question #6, you will need to identify courses and POS that may be affected by your proposal. To do this, use the "Advanced Search " option (top left) on the undergraduate or graduate online bulletin. Enter the course, or other keyword, check "FInd whole word or phase only", and check the appropriate boxes to the right. If looking for course and POS impacts then check "Courses" and Programs". Contact all affected departments or programs and note their responses.
- Once proposals have been approved by the department, email the form (pdf) and supporting attachments (Word) to Mark Bradbury (email@example.com). Please put "Curriculum" in the subject line. Please see the table below for submission deadlines.
- The proposals will be reviewed by the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) Curriculum Subcommittee to review. A department/program representative will need to attend the subcommittee meeting to answer any questions that might arise. You will be contacted by the subcommittee chair.
- Following review by the subcommittee, proposals for CAS Council will be posted to the 2020-2021 CAS Council Curriculum Proposals Google Folder and summaries will go out with the agenda 5 days before the CAS Council meeting.
- For changes to only the semester offering of a course, please send an email to Mark Bradbury (firstname.lastname@example.org) stating the request. The dean's office will then send that information as an FYI to email@example.com.
- Following approval at CAS Council, proposals will be routed through other Councils (General Education, Council on Professional Education, Honors Council, Undergraduate AP&P, Graduate AP&P) as needed. A department/program representative will need to attend the various Council meetings to answer any questions that may arise. You will receive an email reminder of those dates. Master List of Committee/Council Submission and Meeting Dates (48 KB, PDF)
- Undergraduate AP&P has an AsULearn site where all submitted proposals will be posted for AP&P review. If you have proposals for the upcoming AP&P meeting, you will be added to the AP&P listserv for the time between submission of your proposals and the meeting. You will be expected to address any questions or concerns that are raised on the AsULearn Forum. Additionally, you will be expected to send a department/program representative to the AP&P meeting to answer any questions that may arise.
Members of the 2020-2021 Arts and Sciences Curriculum Subcommittee
- Dr. Rose Mary Webb*, Chairperson, Department of Psychology
- Dr. Jennifer Burris, Chairperson, Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Dr. Cameron Lippard, Chairperson, Department of Sociology
- Dr. Leonardo Flores, Chairperson, Department of English
- Dr. K. Martial Frindéthié, Chairperson, Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures
- Ms. Diana Nelson, Director of the College Advising and Support Services Hub, College of Arts and Sciences (ex-officio)
- Dr. Mark Bradbury, Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences (ex-officio)
* Subcommittee Chairperson
2019-2020 Curriculum Proposal Dates
A&S Council Meeting
Sept. 1, 2020
Sept. 7, 2020
Sept. 16, 2020
Oct. 6, 2020
Oct. 12, 2020
Oct. 21, 2020
Nov. 3, 2020
Nov. 2, 2020*
Nov. 11, 2020*
Dec. 1, 2020*
Jan. 11, 2021
Jan. 20, 2021
Feb. 2, 2021
Feb. 8, 2021
Feb. 17, 2021
Mar. 2, 2021
Mar. 15, 2021
Mar. 24, 2021
Apr. 6, 2021
Apr. 12, 2021
Apr. 21, 2021
May 4, 2021
*Last meeting to have proposals considered in time to make the 2021 fall catalog.