Undergraduate Academic Services
Welcome to the Undergraduate Academic Services Office of the College of Arts & Sciences! The College is home to 5,500 students within 16 academic departments, 3 interdisciplinary programs, and Watauga Residential College. Please use this page as a resource to find answers to your questions.
The best place to get information about your degree requirements is DegreeWorks! Go to your AppalNet account and click on the icon.
Get more information, contact your advisor, or contact us at cas-students [at] appstate [dot] edu
December 2015 Commencement Student Speaker Application
This fall, the College of Arts & Sciences will select one distinguished graduating senior to speak at the December Commencement Ceremony. We are seeking candidates from any of the three divisions in the college: Social Sciences, Humanities, and Natural, Physical & Mathematical Sciences.
Applicants for this honor must have distinguished themselves through service to the Department, College of Arts and Sciences, or the University in one or more of the following:
- leadership roles,
- public service,
- creative endeavors,
- research, or
- other accomplishments.
The College of Arts & Sciences Commencement Speaker Committee will review the applications and interview finalists the second week of October.
Commencement Speaker Guidelines:
- Applications must be submitted in writing.
- The applicant must have a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or greater.
- he applicant must have applied for December 2015 graduation and plan to attend the commencement ceremony on December 12, 2015 at 10 am.
- The applicant must be a student who has his/her primary major in the College of Arts & Sciences.
- The applicant must be highly motivated and comfortable speaking to large crowds.
- The applicant must submit 1) resume, 2) one-page letter explaining why he/she would like to represent his/her graduating class as a speaker, and 3) a faculty letter of recommendation with this completed application.
- Applications are due to the College of Arts & Sciences by 5 pm on Thursday, October 1, 2015.
- Student interviews for a select group of finalists will be held Wednesday, October 7, 2015.
- One student speaker will be chosen and notified by October 9, 2015.
- The student selected must submit a draft of his or her remarks to be approved, by a specified deadline approximately 3 weeks prior to the ceremony.
Attention December 2015 Graduation Applicants
The process for applying for graduation has changed. You must apply for graduation during the Spring 2015 semester if you plan to graduate in December 2015. All students who have at least 72 earned hours at the beginning of the spring semester will be sent an email from the Registrar's Office by the end of the 2nd week of fall semester with instructions for applying.
December Graduates: If you believe all coursework will be completed by December 11, 2015, you may apply for graduation. The deadline for applying for December graduation is February 20, 2105. You will receive an email from this office during the month of April listing the courses you still need to graduate to assist you in registering for summer and fall 2015.
Important Fall 2015 Dates:
- First Day of Fall 2015 Classes - August 17, 2015
- Free Drop/Add Period - August 17-21
- May 2016 Graduation Application Becomes Available Online - August 24
- Last Day to Drop a Full Semester Course - October 21
- Deadline to Apply for FALL Commencement (Names Cannot Be Added to Printed Program After This Date) -November 6
- Last Day of Classes -December 3
- Commencement -December 12
- Grades Due -December 14
|CAS Commencement fall 2015 Speaker Application.pdf||196.34 KB|
Departments and Programs
- Appalachian Studies
- Computer Science
- Cultural, Gender, and Global Studies
- Environmental Science
- Fermentation Sciences
- Geography and Planning
- Government and Justice Studies
- Judaic, Holocaust, and Peace Studies
- Languages, Literatures and Cultures
- Mathematical Sciences
- Philosophy and Religion
- Physics and Astronomy
- Watauga Residential College
CAS Strategic Planning
Find out more about the development of the CAS Strategic Plan and how to get involved.
College of Arts and Sciences
Appalachian State University
I.G. Greer Hall, PO Box 32021
Boone, NC 28608