Attention August 2017 Graduation Applicants
August graduates: If you will be taking summer coursework, you are NOT a May graduate and should apply for August graduation. All Students who graduate in May or August are allowed to walk in the May Commencement Ceremony. Students' names will be in the May commencement program for both May and August graduation terms if you apply by the deadline of April 7, 2017.
All August graduates must apply for graduation during the Fall 2016 semester. All students who have at least 72 earned hours at the beginning of the spring semester will be sent an email from the Registrar's Office by the end of the 2nd week of the spring semester with instructions for applying. It is important that you apply so you will be notified of your graduation shortages in time to pre-register for summer.
The August graduation application deadline is Friday, September 19, 2016.
Attention December 2017 Graduation Applicants
All December 2017 graduates should have already applied for graduation during the Spring 2017 semester. All students who had at least 72 earned hours at the beginning of the spring semester were sent an email from the Registrar's Office by the end of the 2nd week of the spring semester with instructions for applying. It is important that you apply so you will be notified of your graduation shortages in time to pre-register for summer and/or fall.
The December graduation application deadline was Friday, February 19, 2016.
Information about the fall commencement ceremony will be below as we get closer to that date.
Attention May 2018 Graduation Applicants
May graduation means you have COMPLETED all coursework by May 10, 2018. If you will be taking summer 2018 coursework, you are NOT a May graduate and should apply for August graduation. All Students who graduate in May or August are allowed to walk in the May Commencement Ceremony.
If you believe all coursework will be completed by May 10, 2018, you should apply for graduation during the Fall 2017 semester. (The deadline for applying for May 2018 graduation will be September 29, 2017.) If you apply on time, you will receive an email from this office listing the courses you still need for graduation to assist you in registering for Spring 2018.
Information about the commencement ceremony is below.
Commencement and Graduation for Students:
- As soon as possible, make arrangements for your cap, gown, and invitations at the University Bookstore. All graduates will wear the same attire. You will NOT be allowed to participate in the ceremony unless you have a cap and gown.
- Honor graduates will be recognized at the ceremony.
- You may invite as many guests as you wish to the ceremony. Accessible seating is provided for guests with physical limitations. If you have a family member or guest who needs seating in this area, please arrive early, and ask the student marshals for assistance. Special parking for the disabled is available. Contact the University's Traffic Office at (828) 262-2878.
- No rehearsal will be held. There is a virtual Commencement Rehearsal video that can be found on the Registrar's Office website.
- Please arrive at least one half hour prior to the ceremony to assemble for the processional into the arena.
- The GPA used to recognize honor graduates at the ceremony is the cumulative GPA at the end of the prior (not the current) semester. When all of your grades have been reported, your cumulative GPA will determine the honor status on your diploma. Graduation with Honors will be noted on your transcript and a gold seal will be affixed to your diploma as follows: summa cum laude 3.85, magna cum laude 3.65, and cum laude 3.45.
- Your diploma will be mailed to you at your permanent address approximately six weeks after graduation. If you do not receive it, contact the Registrar's Office, (828) 262-2050.
- Occasionally, a student participates in the graduation ceremony but does not meet all of the graduation requirements. If this is the case, the student is notified by email and US mail. Upon completion of the requirements by the deadline noted in the email/letter, the student is graduated, and a diploma is mailed to the student. If graduation deficiencies are not cleared within the allotted time frame, the student must reapply to graduate at a later date.
- For more information on time, date and location of ceremony, please visit the Registrar's Office.
- Proofs of commencement photographs will be mailed to the student's permanent address. Information on purchasing copies will be sent along with the proofs. For any questions regarding photographs, please contact GradTrak's customer service department at 800-424-3686 or 001-641-472-6892 if calling from outside the United States. Customer service can also be contacted via e-mail, fax, regular mail, or online at www.gradimages.com.
- GradTrak is offering students a $5 discount on any photo order over $25 when they register their email address prior to graduation. Please click on the button below to register your email address.
If you have questions, please contact us at:
College Advising & Suppert Services Hub (CASSH)
College of Arts and Sciences
Room 100, I. G. Greer
or e-mail or e-mail email@example.com