Arts and Sciences Curriculum Proposal Process for 2012-2013
All curriculum proposals (new courses, program changes, deletes, etc) must use the AP&P forms which are available through the AP&P Proposal Form link on the sidebar of the AP&P webpage. Directions for completing the AP&P forms are also available on the website. Be sure to follow the appropriate naming process for files. That naming process will apply for all forms (A, B, and C) as well as other supporting materials, such as syllabi, programs of study, etc. The AP&P form is in a writable PDF. Supporting materials must be submitted as MS Word documents.
To submit proposals to the Arts and Sciences Council, please follow these instructions:
- Complete the AP&P forms necessary for your proposals (Gen Ed will require form C as well as A & B). Be sure you choose the appropriate Form C for your request. The AP&P forms are writable pdf.
- Complete any supporting attachments, such as syllabi, catalog copy, programs of study, etc. using Word format. Any changes to existing documents should be noted in red font and/or red strikeouts. Existing programs of study in pdf form can be accessed on the following site (http://programsofstudy.appstate.edu/programs/colleges/College-of-Arts-and-Sciences). However, please contact Dr. Jeni Wyatt (wyattjl [at] appstate [dot] edu) to obtain the Word version of the program of study. You will need this to mark your changes.
- Seek appropriate approvals within the department. Contact other departments or programs that might have similar courses or might be affected by the changes. Be sure to note the dates on the AP&P forms when the proposals were approved by your curriculum committee and faculty.
- Once proposals have been approved by the department, email the form (pdf) and supporting attachments (Word) to Jeanne Berry (berrydj [at] appstate [dot] edu) and Dru Henson (hensonda [at] appstate [dot] edu). Please put “Curriculum” in the subject line. Please see the table below for submission deadlines.
- The proposals will be posted on the AsULearn “CAS Prop” site for the A&S Curriculum Subcommittee to review. A department/program representative will need to attend the subcommittee meeting to answer any questions that might arise. You will be contacted by the subcommittee Chair.
- Following review by the subcommittee, proposals for A&S Council will be posted to the AsULearn “CAS Prop” site and summaries will go out with the agenda 5 days before the A&S Council meeting
- If you have proposals for General Education that contain courses already in the catalog, please send an FYI memo to the subcommittee alerting the College to the General Education proposals.
- At this time FYI memos to AP&P can only be used for changes to semester offered or change in course number (if preapproved by the registrar). These can be sent to Lesa Felker at felkerlr [at] appstate [dot] edu and cc’d to Dru Henson and Jeanne Berry.
- Following approval at A&S Council, proposals will be routed through other Councils (General Education, Teacher Education, Graduate Council) as needed. A department/program representative will need to attend the various Council meetings to answer any questions that may arise. You will receive an email reminder of those dates.
- University AP&P has an AsULearn site where all submitted proposals will be posted for AP&P review. If you have proposals for the upcoming AP&P meeting, you will be added to the AP&P listserv for the time between submission of your proposals and the meeting. Additionally, you will be expected to send a department/program representative to the AP&P meeting to answer any questions that may arise.
Members of the 2012-2013 Arts and Sciences Curriculum Subcommittee:
Dr. Kathy Schroeder, Geography and Planning (Chair)
Dr. Claudia Cartaya-Marin, Chemistry
Dr. Diane Mines, Anthropology
Dr. Jim Fogelquist, Languages, Literatures and Cultures
Dr. Michael Briley, Physics and Astronomy
Dr. Dru Henson, Colleges of Arts and Sciences (ex-officio member)
|2012-2013 Curriculum Proposal Dates|
|Submission Deadline||Subcommittee Meeting||A&S Council Meeting|
|Sept. 7, 2012||Sept. 19, 2012||Oct. 2, 2012|
|Oct. 5, 2012||Oct. 17, 2012||Nov. 6, 2012|
|Nov. 13, 2012*||Nov. 28, 2012*||Dec. 4, 2012*|
|Jan. 4, 2013||Jan. 16, 2013||Feb. 5, 2013|
|Feb. 8, 2013||Feb. 20, 2013||Mar. 5, 2013|
|Mar. 8, 2013||Mar. 20, 2013||Apr. 9, 2013|
|Apr. 5, 2013||Apr. 17, 2013||May 7, 2013|
*Last meeting to have proposals considered in time to make the 2013 fall catalog.